Saturday, May 19, 2012

Unfounded Fears

Okay, so I think we are on week 5 (or maybe 6) but I'm not even keeping track anymore.  I have been on so many "diets" in my life that I've lost track but I know one thing that they all had in common........I couldn't wait for them to end! I usually felt deprived, hungry and grumpy (which was really fun for my family). I was so obsessed with my children not having a "fat" mom and instead they got a grumpy mom. Great trade off, huh? Anyway, we cruised right by the 30 days and nobody even noticed. Yippee!!! My husband, the beer snob, didn't even go back to drinking beer! Now, if you don't know him you won't understand what the big deal is, but if you do know him.........He found a "hard" cider that he really enjoys and he's stuck to that.  He also created his own version of the NorCal margarita. Our children, all 7, never even blinked when day 31 came around. We just kept going as usual with the addition of our favorite Dubliner aged cheddar. One thing my husband has noticed is that he is highly sensitive to wheat. He took one sip of a dark beer my dad had and had such a bad reaction. We've also noticed that he and our daughter Rebekah (who also has a wheat allergy) have had a bad reaction to the cheese.  So, they both limit their intake. Last night, which was Friday, we had our first "pizza" night (used to be a weekly, Friday tradition).  I made the awesome crust from Everyday Paleo and we did all our favorite toppings.  I made a pesto and bbq sauce from Comfort Foods and we put our shredded chicken, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, pine nuts, canadian bacon, salami, and olives on our pizza. Just like before. The other thing we did was grill them.  If you've never had grilled pizza you don't know what your missing! Everyone loved it. We were having pizza and homemade ice cream and life was great.  Tonight we are going to have a "weenie" roast at the beach.  I found some really great nitrate free hot dogs and although they are not a part of our everyday life it's great to still be able to create these memories as a family. So, all this to say that although when I began this journey a month and a half ago I was apprehensive about all the changes we were making I am so gratified to see that all my fears were unfounded.  My husband and I are so pleased with the results we see in our children and ourselves that I can honestly say, "What took us so long?"

No comments:

Post a Comment