Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Falling Down

Falling down is not a big deal, as long as you get back up. In fact sometimes falling down is a good thing because it reminds you to watch where you are going. This weekend, at my mother-in-law's wedding, I fell flat on my face.  I did great all weekend, until they broke out the carrot cake. To say that I love carrot cake would be an understatement. I have never been able to say no to carrot cake. So, I figure what the heck go for it, how many times does your mother-in-law get married? (For the record my beautiful mother-in-law was married for 40 odd years to her first husband. He died in a plane crash 4 years ago and the man she is now married to is wonderful. So for this daughter-in-law it's only happening once.) Besides I'm not really allergic to wheat, I'm "carb sensitive". Yeah right!!! I ate that piece of cake (it was GOOD) and not an hour later my stomach was doing things it had never done. I will spare you the ugly (and they are ugly) details but let's just say I spent awhile "indisposed". I know, it could have been the sugar in the icing or the combo of sugar and wheat but whatever it was, it was not pretty. Now, I don't even want to mention my children. They didn't just fall off the Paleo wagon, they dove off, head first. Even the baby, although technically she was pushed. (One of our good friends "shared" a cupcake with her. Yeah, I'm still dealing with the consequences of that, know what I mean?) Anyway, here's my point. We all fell this weekend and we all dealt with the consequence, individually and collectively. But, and this is important, we all got back up, brushed off our pants and got back on the wagon. Willingly.  The kids were so happy to get home and back on track. We all felt so horrible and remembered how good we had felt that we couldn't wait to return to "normal". That's right, for us this is the new normal. So, what's the lesson? We all fall down but maybe it's not such a bad thing if it helps you to remember why you're doing what you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment