Friday, May 4, 2012

Mirror Image?

If things are not put in their proper place they become a weight around your neck, weighing you down.  One of the big reasons we chose to eat Paleo was not for our outward appearance but because of our health.  When I was 32, my mother, who had been overweight her entire life but had remained relatively "healthy" in spite of it, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Although this diagnosis was devastating enough in itself it was just the tip of the iceberg. This diagnosis was the catalyst for what I view as her "health avalanche".  Within a year-and-half she was diagnosed as pre-diabetic,with non alcohol cirrhosis of the liver and a myriad of other things (did I mention that she was and had been overweight her entire life?).  This lead to some very drastic decisions for her health but it also woke me up.  I had spent the last 10 yrs steadily gaining weight until I reached my highest weight of 230 lbs (I had also had 5 children in that time span). I was so out of shape and unhealthy and unhappy but I could never motivate myself to "stick to it". Every diet I tried, I failed. I had begun to workout but it was half-hearted and when I didn't see the results I wanted immediately I would become frustrated and give up.  It was at the moment of my mom's diagnosis that I clearly saw I had it all wrong.  I was worried about how I looked, not about my health.  I was putting my body through the roller coaster of strict dieting and over training and I was killing myself.  My husband, God bless him, had been trying to tell me this for years.  He is a very no-nonsense, tell it like it is guy. I love and hate that about him. So, when I would complain about my appearance he would say something like, "Who cares what you look like? How do you feel?" or my personal favorite, "Obviously you don't feel bad enough because you're still doing the same thing that got you here." Don't get me wrong he loves me has never cared about my weight. Heck when we got married I was overweight (200 lbs). He was right. I had it all backwards.  I was trying to fix my outside but was not concerned one iota about my inside.  Now, I'm not saying this was an overnight transformation. I still struggle with body image. I still look in the mirror and think, "Ugh, if only_________." The difference is I now know those thoughts will not get me what I really want which is health, energy and strength. A wise man whom I have recently had the opportunity to meet says, "Healthy body's look good accidentally" (Jason Seib). In other words as I work toward health my body changes on the outside as well as the inside. Now, my light bulb moment came 5 yrs ago and ever since then I have slowly been working toward being healthier. In that time I had two more babies and my weight has gone up and down but I know that as I strive for a healthier lifestyle my weight and my body will fall in line. I don't sweat the small stuff and since we have switched to the Paleo lifestyle I not only feel better but darn it, I look better!!
Oh, and p.s. my mom is doing great. She is 5 yrs cancer free, is no longer pre-diabetic and her liver function is great. She had to take some drastic steps to get there but she is now determined to stay healthy, the right way. She is part of this Paleo journey and I thank God that He kept her here with us so we could do this together.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I love it! Thank you so much for putting into writing something I think we all struggle with to some degree. Heres to health! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete